1/4 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 cup cooked protein (optional)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon madras curry powder
1 tablespoon chat masala
1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt to taste
- Sieve flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add oil and mix with your fingers,
- Slowly mix in 5 tablespoons of water, knead the dough to a ball.
- Rest the dough for 30 minutes.
Stuffing Cooking Instructions:
- Sautee the onions, ginger and garlic in oil over medium heat until slightly brown.
- Add the protein (optional). Add the spices, and salt.
- Cook until the protein is coated with oil and spices and all the liquid is evaporated, cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Turn off heat and cilantro.
- It is important that the mixture is as dry as possible.
Make the Samosa:
- Divide the dough into 8 equal size balls.
- On a floured surface, press each ball into a 5-in circle.
- Cut each circle in half.
- Brush the straightedge side with a little water, fold it in half to form a cone shape.
- Squeeze the edges together to make a tight seal.
- Place a generous tablespoon of filling inside each cone.
- Brush the inside top rim of the cone with a little water and press the edges together to make another tight seal.
- Place the samosas on a tray covered with a moist cloth until ready to fry. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Fry in oil over medium-high heat until golden brown. (5-10 minutes).
- Best served when hot.